Homemade hair dye is easier than you think- DIY Hair Dye- do it yourself naturally. Dying hair or getting hair coloured is no more considered as a necessity for people who are ageing or developing grey hair. In current days dying hair with funky colours are new trends. Nowadays people do not only colour their hair to hide grey hairs it is a style statement now.
Colouring your hair is fun but have you ever checked the contents list behind the box of your permanent dyes? Did you ever take out time to read through the list, check out the chemicals in it?
You must be aware that the regular hair dyes you apply contain numerous harmful chemicals which are very lethal and can even cause cancer. Things like ammonia and other bleaching agents in colour are very harmful for the human body.
So what should be your answer to get the perfect blonde hair?
Or get that amazing red toned brown hair?
All of these can be done through DIY hair dye. DIY remedies are not only beneficial, but are also harmless as compared to permanent dyes.
So here are a few ways you can attain the desired hair colours and even hide your grey hair easily at home with DIY hair dyes-
- Coffee hair dye-we all know that coffee contains a beautiful brown colour, but this colour can also be used in dying your hair to get beautiful rich brown hair. Since this is a natural organic solution, you should never expect it to remain active as long as a standard permanent dye would or be as dark as the later.
You can make regular coffee mixed with water boil it to attain a liquid containing the brown colour and apply it on your hair. You can even paste some coffee beans mix it with two tablespoons of cocoa powder add minimal amount of water and use the thick paste all over your head covering every strand of hair.
Keep it for 2 hours minimum and wash off. Since this is a natural remedy, you need to keep the paste for a more extended period and avoid using an excessive amount of shampoo on your hair as that will wash off the colour easily.
- Beetroot hair dye- if you are wishing to flaunt that beautiful red hair without using any harmful colours this DIY hair dye is meant for you. This can be a good option to hide your grey hairs or even just colour your hair in general to bring some change.
Take one beetroot and make a paste with it, add two tablespoons of coffee powder and one tablespoon of cocoa powder mix everything with glycerine and water and apply the paste on your hair you can also use it on your scalp and over every strand of hair. Keep the mixture for at least 2 hours and rinse it off. Beetroot contains a deep red colour which will help in transforming the hair colour reddish and cocoa powder and coffee will intensify the colour.
If you have dark black hair, this will not be as effective as you expect it form permanent hair dyes but this will change your hair colour to some extent for sure. For people with grey hair, this will be effective because white hair will take up the colour better.
- Apple cider vinegar dye- if you are planning to get beautiful blonde hair this is meant for you.People with grey hair should avoid this because it will bring no results for them. People with very dark hair might find this remedy very helpful. Take half cup of apple cider vinegar mix one teaspoon of coconut oil in it and apply it to the lower part of your hair avoiding your roots.
Keep the mixture for an hour and rinse it off. Apple cider vinegar contains acid which helps in bleaching your hair but never apply it on your scalp because that might lead into permanent greying of your hair or even lead into the burning of your hair follicles.
But that is something you never want to happen with your hair. This might help you to create a beautiful ombre effect on your hair for which you do not even require harmful colours. If you use other vinegar, then dilute it with little water and soak your hair into the liquid for the same time period.
- Food colouring dye- food colouring can be useful in such cases as well, if you plan to get some funky colours like blue or green then first you need to bleach your hair with the apple cider vinegar solution and then apply food colouring on top of it whatever colour you prefer. Keep the colour for a while and wash it off. It cannot be guaranteed that this will remain for a very long time but as an interim style statement, you can definitely opt for it.
- Henna- this is considered as one of the most ancient practices for dying hairs and can be viewed as the most effective hair colouring option in DIY hair dyes. Henna comes from the leaves of a plant and is one of the best ways to get rid of grey hair and also can be used in getting beautiful brunette hair.
Henna possesses a lovely smell which can be a little irritating for some people having issues. People having an allergy issue should always opt for a patch test on their neck or behind the ears since it is a botanical product it might cause allergic rashes. You can also buy henna powder and mix it with coffee or tea infusion and apply paste all over your head.
Keep the mixture for an hour and see amazing results which will last for a more extended period of time but always try to avoid applying shampoo on your hair frequently as that will wash off the colour.
- Tea infusion dye-tea contains a strong reddish toned colour which is pretty active as we have seen how it stains our clothes. Tea can be used as a good option for people who are struggling with grey hair. This might bring zero results for people with no grey hair issues, but tea infusion mixed with beetroot juice might be sufficient for them.
Tea infusion itself can be a decent option for covering grey hair. You can merely boil tea leaves in water, boil it for a very long time to extract all the colours accurately, mix one teaspoon of coconut oil or glycerine and soak your hair in it and keep the mixture on your hair for around 2 hours and rinse it off with regular water and no shampoo.
Tea infusion will help in changing your hair colour, and coconut oil or glycerine will assist in retaining the moisture in your hair providing conditioning properties.
- Jello dye- jello comes with an artificial colorant in it which can be an excellent option to dye your hair at home temporarily. But this will not be very effective for specific reasons. While using jello never use the sweetened version because that will cause unnecessary complications with your hair.
For this DIY you need to boil water and add the red jello powder in it. Take as much as water required and mentioned at the back of your jello packet. Take a towel and wrap it around your neck and simply soak the lower portion of your hair into the liquid after cooling it for a bit. Do not apply it on your scalp. Keep your hair soaked for an hour minimum and wash it off with cold water only.
Do not use shampoo :
Do not use shampoo as that will wash off the colour from jello. People with very dark hair might not see much of a result on their hair through this, but in natural lights, your hair will appear reddish. People with brownish hair or naturally blonde hair will see useful results. This colour is not going to stay for a more extended time period; once you wash your hair with shampoo, this colour will go off instantly.
- Cinnamon dye-cinnamon is an excellent option to add fresh red colour to your hair. For this DIY you need any regular conditioner you use and cinnamon powder. Take two to three pumps of conditioner in a bowl and add three tablespoons of cinnamon powder to it. Make a thick mixture and apply it all over your hair leaving out the scalp area and roots of your hair. Keep the mixture for 30 minutes and wash it off with normal cold water. Cinnamon will give you a fresh red colouration to your hair which will stay for a week and on shampooing your hair it wash off gradually.
Dying of hair is a lot of work and people often avoid doing it at home. The hair colours used in salons are full of chemicals which are supremely harmful to our hair, and that’s why DIY hair dye is a solution to save you from all of that.